Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bared to You by Sylvia Day (Lori)



I bet you're wondering why this video is here.

Well I should warn you this book contains a stalker.
I should also warn you this an adult review and not meant for youngin's. Or you Dad. So if you happen to read my reviews...just don't. Ok?
Also this is my second favorite jam from the '80's....

From Goodreads:  Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...


Ok 3 Stars for the first half of the book and 4 for the last half. So let's just call my rating 2 stars. LOL kidding. It's a 3. Maybe? Shit. I don't fucking know. It's not a 5 star book that is for fucking sure!
I found the first half extremely mock worthy and you will see that reflected in our group read on the blog (I'll let you all know when we get that up).

This book gets a lot of comparisons to Fifty Shades of Grey. I see those similarities. Eva=Ana=Bella (kinda) Gideon=Christian=Edward (most definately). This is a book about a fucked up co-dependent relationship. You NEVER know if the characters are making up or breaking up. They are instantly in lust/love with each other and the male MC has major creep/stalker tendancies which are not hot at all. Women of the world. We are people too. We deserve space and privacy.
So you ask, what makes this different? Eva has a real backbone. She stands up to Cross. On several different occasions. However, she does have a tendency to cave...so there is that. She tells him to fuck off. Walks away from him when he pisses her off and makes demands that she actually expects him to comply with. Sometimes she gets her way and most of the time she doesn't. The arguments and solutions usually end up in Cross's favor but the fact that she is willing to slap him and tell him to go screw himself is a major step up. Cross is super creepy. Like seriously a major stalker. Is he as bad as Christian Grey? I don't know... but he is very close.

There is a very very disturbing scene in this book that was absolutely horrible. [ Cross attempts to sleep rape Eva in his and her one night. Eva wakes up thinking it's a nightmare of her former step brother raping her (hide spoilI'm trying to weigh if this is more horrible than the outright abuse in Fifty. In some ways yes and in some ways no. But mostly yes. And mostly due to the authors handling of it. It's in there as shock value. It adds absolutely nothing to the story. Sure it shows us Cross is seriously fucked up...but we already knew that. She took this horrible thing that men and women have suffer with...threw it out there and then kinda swept it under the rug. I really hope she fixes this and addresses it in a more mature way in the next book. Does it add a bit more seriousness to the story? Maybe. But not in the way it was handled in the aftermath. Literally, maybe 5 sentences are given to it after the fact.

The writing was decent in this book. There were a few clunky sentences here and there. The author likes to use big words and tends to be on the wordy side. Oh well. Are there annoying phrases repeated over and over again? Yes. The sex speak is crude and absolutely hilarious. The sex scenes get a little redundant and at one point Eva has 4 orgasms in one sexual sitting. They literally hump on every other page. I get it, he's hot and amazing in bed...but can't he mix it up. This is the order of their sex. Cross or Eva--I wanna fuck. They kiss. He sucks/bites her nipples. He goes down on her. She has an orgasm. He finger bangs her. She has an orgasm They have good ole missionary style sex. He rotates his hips. And goes so deep with his giant dong that he can feel it against his stomach from inside her. She has an orgasm. He says Eva "what the fuck are you doing to me" or "fuck Eva". Then he has an orgasm. I think she mentions them doing it doggy style but we don't see that. Also he finger bangs her butt. But (all you Fifty Haters--I'm right there with ya) there is NO fucking inner goddess. There is no mention of her subconcious. She doesn't say "oh my" or "holy cow".

Ok now that I have thought about it this is a pity 4 star review. I'm marking it up because it's NOT Fifty. It has its own issues but Eva is a surviver and a fighter and that was just awesome to me. I just wish the author would let her actions back up her words more often. It's not the character that's flawed...it's what the author is doing it to her. It's time we stop expecting women to bow down to rich, handsome, and powerful men. Or men in general. I know, I know it's fucking fiction...blah blah blah. I've used those exact words to defend some seriously fucked up relationships in books I love. It's just an alarming trend to me. I thought it was new and great at first. Like--look at this. These characters have a fucked up relationship like I've had. Only they get a happy ending aww. But now EVERY book. Even YA ones are promoting co-dependency and stalkerish/possessive behavior. I'm an adult. I know there is no happy ending for this shit. But 14 year old girls? Fuck no they don't know that. So STOP FUCKING TELLING THEM IT'S FUCKING SEXY!!!! /Rant.

Oh--you want some quotes for me to mock....Well I used all my good ones in the group blog. But I think I can pull some out of my notes.
"'Oh, Eva," he crooned, running his index finger through my slick-cleft. "Look how greedy you are for me. It's a full time job keeping this sweet little cunt satisfied."--My mom would hate this guy. She hates that word for personal reasons. Me-I'm a feminist. I've come to terms with societies reality of this word. And the origins and reality-reality of this word. Just go read Cunt by Inga Musico already.I still don't love the word because of the personal connection it has for me and my family.

Oh mockery---right. Well let's just say that the way he talks is LOL worthy.
"Romance isn't in my repertoire, Eva. But a thousand ways to make you come are. Let me show you." --I literally just fucking fell on my back and wanted this guy. Wow. I mean seriously he just used a big word in a sentence while talking about sex. If that isn't seduction, I don't know what it is. Let's just gloss over the fact where he pretty much tells women he has no intrest in them as humans worth spending time with. But damn they sure are great for cum catchers.

Eva has had a trying day so she does what any sane woman does. Buys thirty chocolate candy bars and proceeds to shove them in her face. Cross corners her in the elevator and wipes chocolate from her dick trap (aka mouth) and this is the magic that happens. "He sucked on the pad (of his finger) and purred, 'Chocolate and you. Delicious.'" My 2 year old daughter does that to me when we are eating chocolate. Only I think she has more intelligence than Cross because she say yum yum yum delicioso chocolate. In Spanish and crap. She also invades my personal space. But she's 2. She has no idea what boundaries are. At 28 this dude should know you don't just fucking touch women in empty elevators. Especially when you have used your magic "I own the building key" to close the elevator to anyone else. CREEP.

Eva has turned his world upside down. He repeatedly tries to get her to "cum to him" (my words...but still it's pretty much in theme with the book) and is constantly making him come to her office. Were they can make arrangements to fuck. But when Eva finally decides that she wants a 'fucking' relationship with him (pun intended) he gets all pissy at her when she comes on to him.
"'Christ." He shoved both hands through his hair. 'It's the middle of the fucking day. In my goddamn fucking office!'"--Well stop calling her to your office to entice her with your sex goddness. He goes from being uber sex god in the beginning of this book. To claiming that he and Eva have had more sex than he has had in years. Excuse me--but I find that hard to believe from a man who has a 'fuck room' reserved at a hotel.

At the end of the day this book is what it is. It's seriously good in some parts. And seriously fucked up in others. I will be reading the second book so we can figure out what the fuck happened to him to make him so fucked up.
Fuck, I sound just like my fucking Dads best fucking friend when I was fucking growing up. That fucking man could add the fucking word fucking to almost any fucking point in every fucking sentence he ever fucking spoke. --See I added that for shock value. Does nothing to increase the value of my reivew...

0 comments:

Post a Comment