Thursday, August 23, 2012

Wool by Hugh Howey pt. 1

From Goodreads:
This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

Lori's Review: The First 50% 4 Stars

No I am not done with this yet. Don't get your panties in a twist. It's a wonderful and engaging read. I'm just barely at 54%. This omnibus edition is 500+ pages. So, I am splitting my review in half.

THE FIRST HALF! Is simply amazing. If you are looking for a sweeping landscape of ruined cities. It's not here. Well kinda. But it's background. The residents of this story live and die in the silo. A deep well of a building that is completely underground. I would be lying if I didn't say by the time I hit 50% I was feeling extremely confined. Everytime they had to go up and down the 140+ floors I would feel more and more shut in. I can't imagine living in such a home. The highlight of the book so far is Juliette. I adore her. She's a tough, smart and capable lead character. I live to see her name in the pages. The POV's do change but it's not confusing and is helpful. It helps the reader get the whole view. This book is like a crime novel. If you enjoy a whodunit and mystery with your apocolypse then this book is for you. I'm not the end and I have a few guesses about where this is leading. I look forward to seeing if I am right. Now off to the last 46%. I am literally on the edge of my seat and have been staying up waaay past my bedtime!



0 comments:

Post a Comment