Thursday, November 8, 2012

Revew: Cthulhu's Daughter and Other Horror Tales



Title: Cthulhu's Daughter and Other Horror Tales
Author: Rhiannon Frater
Genre: Horror
Source: Author provided test copy
Rating: 5 stars *****


My Review: Rhiannon sent me a copy of this to test read before it's upcoming release. Which I believe is very very soon. While some of the stories have been released in other anthologies all were new to me. The opening story is a new one and was just all around CREEPY...Cthulu's Daughter sets the tone for the rest of the collection. The story opens with a young girl on a pier as she contemplates the dark waters and why they call to her. What happens next is haunting and dark.The closing story (in my copy) is a subtle horror that is epic in darkness and scare factor. It's source of horror is surprising and exciting. I really hope that she is able to expand this story in the future. I can see the scope and epicness of it outdoing some of her more popular works. It might even be my fourth favorite Rhiannon read. Which are:
  • Tale of the Vampire Bride
  • Dead Spots
  • Last Bastion of the Living 
  • The Key (short story) 
Each story in the collection has a monster in it. Sometimes the monsters are easy to spot but mostly they only show parts of their true faces, and a select few are monsters you would not see coming. What I like more than Rhiannon's monsters are her heroes. They always come in unexpected and wonderful packages. Overall this is a must read for anyone who wants a quick horror fix. There is a little something for everyone. Zombies, werewolves, robots, other worldly beings are all present. 
I recommend this for all horror fans and for all Rhiannon fans. I simply loved it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment