Monday, March 4, 2013

Darkhouse by Karina Halle

4 Stars ~ Kami's Review
Blurb:With all the vampire, werewolf and faerie books out there, it's easy to become numb to all things supernatural. The antidote? Darkhouse introduces two real and unforgettable characters, Perry Palomino & Dex Foray, amateur ghost hunters who are "attractive, relatable and oddly heroic," "flawed but loveable," "slightly crazy" and just the most endearing pair to ever tackle the paranormal...just don't call them normal.
Darkhouse is a thrilling and sexy new take on concepts like Supernatural and The X-Files, bringing a breath of fresh air to a genre that has been inundated with the dead.
***Darkhouse and the Experiment in Terror series is a horror/romance for mature audiences only. Readers who are easily offended by harsh language should think twice about reading it.***

   

~ Kami's Review
I wasnt sure what to think of this book going in. I tend to veer more towards Vampires and Werewolves rather than ghosts or any other supernatural entities. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this little gem.

We meet Perry Palomino and Dex Foray. The story is told from Perry's perspective. Perry has spent her whole life searching for her meaning in life. She has tried everything from classes to be a stunt woman to working in an advertising agency. She has always felt that she was special and was supposed to do something bigger with her life (dont we all).
Here is why I only gave this gem a 4 star and not a 5 star review. Perry spends most of the book constantly putting herself down. She is in constant envy of her sister Ada who has a very popular fashion blog. She always compares herself to Ada, and is jealous of every ounce of popularity that she gets. I'm okay with a little wallowing, but what turned me off was it was through the whole freakin book. Trust me I share all of Perry's self esteem issues, and have since high school. She sits around bitching the whole time about her looks, and yet she doesnt do a damn thing to change it. She is content to go on with her life being purely unhappy with her looks and constantly putting herself down, and letting others put her down. The kicker here, is that she talks about her fierce temper, and yet she never displays any of that when other people are putting her down be it old high school peeps or her own mother. Damn girl stand up for yourself already!!
Now since I have gone pretty far off topic, lets get back to the book. At times I liked Dex and other times I hated him. Perry has a huge crush on him, and constantly gushing on him throughout the whole book. I hope it is not as bad in the next book. *sigh*
Since neither of these characters are exactly normal, hell they see ghosts, it makes the book that much more real. Real people, gotta love that. Not some thin hot chick that doesnt know how hot she is and all the sudden has 10 guys after her at the same time. Those really get on my nerves.
I wasnt *scared* while reading this book, but the suspense sure kept me turning the pages and skipping meals so I didnt have to stop reading to go make something to eat. Gotta love when a book does that to you. I cant wait to read the next books in the series.

2 comments:

  1. The third book is terrifying. Seriously. Sleep with your lights on.

    ReplyDelete